FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit Cards or Cash in Japan
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:00 am
gnaget

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by aster
Is there anything different about using CC terminals in Japan? Like some sort of credit/debit/cheque options showing up like in Australia for instance? Are we mostly looking at chip & PIN or signature based transactions?

What is the norm at restaurants, does the waiter disappear with your card like in Singapore or do they come to you with a wireless terminal like in Europe?
No, it's more like the States although many Japanese cards have a chip. I am not sure what happens if your card has a chip since my Japanese CC (Citi) is mag stripe. In stores they often run your card without signature. At my supermarket over 10,000 yen and no signature required, so not sure if there is a limit.

Self-service purchases like buying a train ticket with CC require a PIN.

The waiter will take your card. There is not much fraud in Japan. They do it at the table in Europe because of frequent fraud: skimming your card in the back of the restaurant.

US issued debit cards (MC or Visa) seem to have a problem at some locations in Japan. In 2+ years I have only had my US CC rejected once -- at a full service gas station.

Sometimes a Japanese issued CC is required. 7-11 and some online purchases come to mind.