FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:09 am
JunkDiver

Checked in here as a Diamond. Frontdesk said that I was upgraded to a Deluxe room, and that was a wee bit cramped. Guess you can't really complain in Manhattan, but I'm scared of how small a regular room is.

Room had a bunch of snacks and a minibar for a charge. Shower was very spacious, and the toiletries were nice (CO Bigelow). One thing that was absolutely maddening was the bathroom faucet. There is around 4" between the nozzle and the bottom of the sink; not enough room to wash both hands at the same time in your typical fashion. It may seem like a very small/petty thing, but it got very, very annoying.

They stopped allowing Diamond members to order whatever they want off the attached restaurant, which saddened me greatly since breakfast is my biggest meal. Now you get a $25 voucher per guest, which is good for about 1 hot item. You'll end up paying extra if you want a drink as well since all hot items are around $21 (then you add tax and tip on top of that).

Overall, I prefer the Grand Hyatt. Yes, the rooms are shabbier, but with the lounge, at least you can get non-alcoholic beverages whenever you want, and lots of snacks (not to mention breakfast) throughout the day. Plus the faucet isn't designed incompetently.