FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for November trip?
View Single Post
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:34 am
djp98374

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Looks like there's availability OK, although as you say the prices aren't necessarily the cheapest!

Obviously if I went down the DV route then it would be heading North from LAS instead - which places would be good suggestions for places to visit on that routing to LAX? Would you go as far West as Santa Barbara and then down the coast?

It looks like I either go North from LAS via DV and drop down to LAX or go South via places like JT nat park, 29 Palms, etc. I drove Route 66 a couple of years ago so I guess I've already seen a proportion of those routings (I-40/I-15, Barstow, etc.) on the Southern routing.
What you could do:

You could do both DV and JT

Monday to DV, night there
Tues DV AM drive to Palm springs area
Wed DO JT...drive to a coastal city and stay there the night
Thu explore some towns before going to the airport.

Alternate from DV:

Mon to DV, stay night
Tue DV in am drive into california toward Santa Maria/SLO
Wed explore central coast, Paso robles/Santa Ynez wine country, then to Santa Barbara
Thur Santa barbara to LAX

Mon DV stay night
Tues DV AM..drive into CA and stay around Mamouth MT resort.
Wed drive south down 395 exploring the Valleys down to Palm springs
Thursday do Joshua tree then drive 2-3 hrs to LAX.

An alternate....

After DV drive to Santa Barbara on Tuesday night
Wed/Thurs Santa Barabara and Santa Ynez valley area...part of this you ---im unsure given its november on boating options to go do a day trip out to one of the Channel Islands National Park.

Another option....though more driving....

Mon spend the day in death valley and then drive out at night and stay along US 395 in California.
tuesday---drive up 395 and through Tuolume Meadows in Yosemite. the road is usually open until December. Then do Yosemite Valley. Spend night around here
Wed you could Yosemite Valley then stay in Fresno.
thurs do Sequoia/Kings Canyon then drive back to LAX.
Wed could be an AM/PM split between the two parks.

Late october/Early november is the fall color time in Yosemite and the lower elevations of Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Its also fall colors in some of the Valleys on the Eastern slope of the sierras along 395 around Bishop,Mamouth, and Lee vining.