FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Premium Economy worth GBP 1250 more ?
View Single Post
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:53 am
layz
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad
This is an interesting thread. I faced a similar decision last week, although made my conclusion very quickly.. Day flight to UAE: £700 r/t in WT, £2.2k r/t in WT+. I run my own business, so went for Y. First time I've flown Y on BA for a few years. Had a bulkhead seat. I am skinny and couldn't believe the seats were so narrow. Luckily I had an empty seat next to me and great crew.

However, here I am, I survived. It was perfectly tolerable for 6 hours with a couple of movies. I felt great for saving £1500 when walking off the plane too.

Night flight however, I'd opt for WT+.
I'm fat and I flew from LHR-LAX in Y on VS no less and survived it (I doubt BA economy would be much different). Highlight was my bmi gold getting me into the Clubhouse

I've never flown in anything below CW yet in BA longhaul. Timing my bookings with sales has usually meant that I've found a decent enough fare that I've thought CW worth it.

I'd personally say WTP is not worth £1250 more, but it depends on a lot of things:

- How much is your time worth? If you think you can work more productively in WTP, or be more relaxed on arrival that you'll be able to do a better job then that might be worth it to yourself and your company to pay the extra.

- Will you have an opportunity to try WTP in the near future when it's cheaper? Until you've tried it you don't know how much you'd personally value WTP at. e.g. I value CE upgrades higher than many on here, but there's a few people that value them even more than me (if I see a £69 upgrade on LHR-AMS,DUB,etc I'd take it despite the short journey time).

- Will the extra tier points help you? I know some will say it's immoral using your employer to gain TP, but in the end retaining status will make your work trips less stressful which is good for you and your company.