FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:48 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

For the RJ valet check your bag - take it to the gate, they tag it and it goes in the plane's cargo holds (you may have to wheel it down to near the aircraft cabin, depending on the layout and policy at your airport of departure). On arrival, wait at the bagge retrieval area near the aircraft and take your bag when they bring it on the valet check cart. Take the shuttle bus to the main AA terminal.

LAX-NRT you should have no problem, ditto on the return. When you go trough US Customs at LAX, you will have the choice of checking the bag in at the recheck facility or taking it to the gate for the MD80 - it may well fit, but you may be intercepted and prevented from taking it on at LAX, so I may recommend checking in after Customs for your final segment. 24" with wheels will most likely not fit into the baggage template AA uses, so you may find yourself being required to return to the counters to check your bag on occasion. (You might check one of these out just to see.)

Originally Posted by tarasimonebooks
Hi all, having luggage anxiety. Traveling to Japan for 9 days (1st time) and have been advised by many to just do carryon. Went and bought a spinner to make things easy and well you know...once you add those wheels on your 22 inch bag becomes 24. If I go smaller on a spinner, I'm unable to get 9 days worth of clothes in.

I am flying first class (gratefully) - 1st leg is a CRJ to LAX so I figure no way will it fit, and I'll check at the gate or check to LAX, then claim. 2nd leg to NRT is the 777 - will they let me bring it on? will it fit? Return is on 777 again, then I have a S80 for my last leg home. I don't care so much about the domestic portions, I have a 4 hour layover at LAX on my way to NRT, I just don't want to go through the expense of new luggage if I'm going to have to wind up checking it anyway.

Any input is welcome.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 6, 2013 at 7:53 am