FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:13 pm
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by mikee555
Thank you for the quick reply.

You reply make sense, however it does raise some other questions.

If she does get a credit card of her own as well as her own aadvantage account will I still be able to use my miles to to make a reservation for her, such that she could get the free baggage?

I have seen many posts stating that miles can be booked for anyone, but not one mentioned free baggage fees.
Obviously if she cannot get free baggage using my miles, (and I using hers) then for us the biggest benefit of the card, and sharing miles is gone.
I ask because the check-in representative they said that a flight had to booked with the same card and name as the AA account which would mean if I use miles then we are SOL.

On a different note, even when we traveled together or me alone, I could not select the single free bag (grayed out with only the second bag selectable) we had to go to another line with a representative which added at least half an hour to our registration process. Is this normal with the free baggage?

Thanks again.
My understanding is that the check in agent was incorrect. Once you have the card, the primary cardholder's AAdvantage account gets flagged with the free bag benefit. You do not need to use the card to pay for the ticket. You can pay with that card, another card, your miles, or someone else's miles: as long as your AAdvantage number is in the reservation, you should get the free bag.

There's a long thread all about the benefits of the Citi cards here, if you feel like wading through it.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-benefits.html