FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Office Depot accepting cash only for variable load gift cards
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:38 pm
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by PdxDfwFlyer
The difference is that Chase doesn't own/manage Office Depot, so Chase doesn't know the detailed breakdown of a purchase at OD.

If OD would code a transaction involving the purchase of a GC differently from other transactions, this would imply that people buying additional non-GC items in that same transaction would miss out on the 5x on the non-GC items. And that wouldn't be fair.
I was trying to say why cant say the GC transaction be coded so it doesnt earn 5x but everything else does? If you purchased taxable and non-taxable items anywhere since you have taxable items do all the items get taxed? No they dont just those with a tx after them .

Also when theres a promo coupon and certain items are excluded eg you must purchase $200 in stuff to save say 20% but Ink,GC and Computers are excluded. So you purchased $205 worth of school supplies and your total bill was say $315 since you got $110 in Ink, youd still get 20% off but only from the $205 and not the $315. so why couldnt a company code it that GCs dont get 5X. Now if Chase has it set up only to look at the total amount Id agree with you or if Chase has no way to brake it down to what does get 5 or 2x and what doesnt, I agree with you.

Personally I have no idea if it could be done but with SPG even thou I dont earn any SPG pts when I charge my parking to my room off my total bill. I do earn an extra pt when I pay with my SPG Amex since Amex only sees the total amount charged it seems and its not broken down.

So if its OD only who wants to prevent the 5x it probably will continue, if its Chase then if they get OD to code the GCs differently so Chases computers can separate them and thusly give only 1 pt or no pts, kiss another outlet goodbye