FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with planning few days in Amalfi Coast in September
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:10 pm
JMN57

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jspector
Booked a nice looking hotel in Amalfi proper. Planning to do the train to Salerno then ferry to Amalfi as suggested above, and then my hotel offered a transfer from Amalfi to Naples airport for 100 euros which seems reasonable enough.

So we will have a half day and 2 full days there. Thinking Amalfi for the half day, Positano for a day, and maybe Pompeii / Herculaneum for a day. Would also like to see Capri but not sure how to fit all that into the few days.

Any suggestions on which of those sights / towns to prioritize?

(and PM sent re: the driver recommendation, thanks!)
Think about splitting a day between Positano and either Pompeii or Herculaneum (if I were to do it, I'd do the AM at the one of the ancient digs and then go have a nice lunch and walk around Positano) and do either a day trip to Capri (more developed/touristy) or Ischia (less so) depending on your preferences.

IMO, Pompeii and Herculaneum are both very interesting but spending an entire day on both is somewhat redundant - Pompeii is bigger and gives you a macro sense of the city, Herculaneum is smaller and gives a somewhat more personal/intimate perspective as a result. But I am not sure the distinction is worth the investment of a whole day given the bounty available.