FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA connecting flights at Heathrow T5: never again
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:53 pm
Sjoerd

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
BA connecting flights at Heathrow T5: never again

How bad can an airport be? What a disaster to connect at Heathrow T5.

We connected AMS to JFK at LHR two weeks ago and YYC to AMS at LHR today.
On both days, queues for security at T5 were ridiculously long. There was absolutely no information / queue management so people with longer connections were in the same line as people with very short connections. Only those passengers who know LHR well moved to the fast track which quickly became another slow track as more and more passengers were afraid that they were going to miss their flight. Within fast track, people were trying to create a faster track ("My flight is leaving in 10 minutes!")

On the outbound. we barely made our flight with a 1:10 actual time at the terminal, and with me being pro-active and jumping the queue and talking ourselves into fast track. We had to run to catch the JFK flight. Of course our bag didn't make it.

How can Heathrow / BA get it so wrong?

Wasn't T5 supposed to improve Heathrow's terrible image? Well, they failed miserably.

Advice to all: avoid connecting at LHR T5 at all costs! I have never seen a worse big airport in a developed country.

Last edited by Sjoerd; Jul 2, 2013 at 4:22 am