FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - P class not eligible for Star Alliance mileage accrual prior to April 1?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:59 am
crazycrab955

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
P class not eligible for Star Alliance mileage accrual prior to April 1?

My spouse and I travelled SIN-HKG-SFO in late March on paid business (P class) on UA. We are both 1K, but my spouse typically credits her miles to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer rather than United.

I chose to credit these flights to UA and the mileage posted as expected. However, my wife's flights never posted to her KF account. After a long series of inquiries with Singapore Airlines, they informed us that United's "P class," which is discounted business class, was not eligible for mileage earning prior to April 1, 2013. They claim that this is United's policy to determine which classes earn mileage, not their policy, and that Star Alliance partners have the responsibility to determine which fare classes earn miles.

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems a bit silly that we could book a paid business fare and have it be non-mileage earning (especially since I was able to earn the miles when crediting to UA).

Would love some advice here. SIA refuses to pursue the matter further, as they say that this is all due to UA's own policies and categorization of P class as "non-mileage-earning" prior to April 1.