FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)
View Single Post
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:19 pm
thehawk75

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by mithrin
Be sure to check the fine print on the coupon. In prior years, it has been $10 off $10+ purchase. This year, I've seen a lot of $10 off $25+ purchase coupons (when they do similar deals for buying gift cards to certain merchants). If they continue that trend with the Visa promotion, we'll have to get more groceries to cash out the coupons.

Other thing to check is the fee on a $100 Visa. The variable load $20-500 cards have a $5.95 fee, but I know the set value cards have lower fees. Can't recall if the $100 is $4.95 or 5.95. Changes the math on comparing $100 vs. $500 cards.

Pick which one you prefer--would you rather maximize % return by using $500 cards and have fewer coupons to redeem; or maximize total return compared to how much manu spend you generate (BB limit you use, etc).
Variable load card has same fee as $100 card.

If it's advertised as '$10 off your next shopping trip', then It will be $10 off $10.

You do maximize this by buying the $100 cards, but, cashing them out is more of a pain, and, of course you're likely now using the $10 coupons to buy 'anything' instead of what you need. Find someone in the checkout line who will buy the coupon for $8 from you or something

Originally Posted by aegt123
I have found that Vons is almost always more expensive than other stores in my area. So the $10 really buys me only $6 to $8 worth of items, which is not bad but I feel like I am not optimizing the $10 coupon.
Depends what you buy. They have some loss leaders out there, especially if you check your 'just4u'.

Stack these coupons and you can do really well.

I like checking out the 'clearance sale' on ranchers reserve. Once when I had the '$5 off of $20 purchase of Ranchers Reserve beef' on my Just4U, and found nearly 6.5 LBS of porterhouse steak that had been marked down to $4.97 per pound AND was in the clearance at 50% off.

The Just4U kicked in because the 'non clearance price' was over $20, but, the $5 got deducted AFTER the 50% discount.

So, 6.5 LBS of porterhouse ended up being $11.15 ($4.97*6.5/2 - $5).

Applied the coupon, and, then I'm required to pay $1.15. And, as luck would have it, Chase Freedom was on supermarkets that month, so, ended up earning 16 UR points...

At any rate, just an example of extreme stacking that 'is' possible. Not always of course will you find this.

Ended up being so happy with the score of beef I ended up inviting a few buddies over for steaks and beer. Since I already took care of the steaks, they brought the beer