FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - one way award ticket advice ("free" stopover)
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:02 pm
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by xxtraloud
I gotcha guys. I have been able to tack on a one way to HNL or SJU but I have to stop in LAX and so I would have to buy a separate LAX-SEA and HNL-SEA. The fee is about $100 for the CPH-LAX-HNL. I am thinking about if it's worth it.

Does anybody know why single one way award is available from CPH-SEA and SEA-HNL but if I do CPH-SEA-HNL with a stopover in SEA it doesn't give me any availability. Not even with a CPH-SEA-LAX. That's strange, this is on AA.
Part of why folks have been confused is that you keep writing "CPH-SEA", "CPH-LAX", etc. Since there is no OneWorld nonstop service directly between CPH and any of those airports, it's not clear what the connecting airports are and what the North American gateway airport is. I guess we've mostly sorted that out but including the full routing you're talking about would help.

On your question on availability, it's due to the difference in applicable routing rules. For more detail and questions on that subject there is a whole thread in this forum on that. It's readily searchable, and usually on page 1 or page 2.

Also don't forget with the LAX stoppover, you'd also need to factor in a SEA-LAX flight, in addition to LAX-SEA and HNL-SEA.