FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pay for Seat Selection on BA international business class?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:02 am
umaa83

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by stifle
This is exactly why I go out of my way to avoid AA whenever possible, despite my OW Sapphire status. I find it highly insulting that if I didn't have status I would have to fork over an extra $50 for lounge access when flying in domestic first class or $60/$100 to check two bags on domestic/international flights in economy when I can get it for free on other carriers.

[In short, different carriers charge more for some Optional Extras than others. You are not forced to purchase the extras.]
I can come right back at you that for that $50 I can get in on a coach ticket on domestic trips or for the membership fee I can get into any AA/QF lounge worldwide no matter what cabin I'm travelling in. Can't do that on BA. I also can book award travel on AA without having to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars in fees. Can't do that on BA. The list goes on.

Also, as far as the AA bag fees go, as long as your travel on the US domestic flights is tied to an international flight on one ticket, or show that you just arrived or are connecting to an international flight, the domestic bag fees are waived for 1 bag for anybody.

My point is that BA is the only airline I'm aware of, there probably are a few select others, that charge for reserving a seat in a premium cabin. It's not unheard of for airlines to charge for lounge access or bags.

Last edited by umaa83; Jun 7, 2013 at 10:24 am