FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Harrassment at Giza
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:41 am
Canuck2012

Programs: Qatar Plat
Unfortunately the horrendous economic situation is driving some people to behave very badly. Another problem is that the police stationed at the Pyramids do nothing to stop the harassment (they are probably paid off to do nothing).

Best advice is to get a car and driver, plus a hired guide. Once you get inside the Pyramids Entrance, you only have to buy your tickets (plus additional entrance fees for the various pyramids and solar boat ect...).

I was there a few months ago and rented a horse and carriage (~$30 for an hour), which is a good way to get around the site. Also paid to get a photo on a camel with the pyramids in the background (a rite of passage for any visitor! and cost about $10 for a 5 minute ride). I probably overpaid, but at least the camel and horse got a good meal at the end of the day. ---many of the camel and horse owners aren't making enough income to feed their animals properly, a very sad situation for the animals!

Bring lots of small bills (5s,10s,20s) for bargaining. Around the Spinx there are many low cost souvenirs for sale, great for cheap presents to bring back home. Prices can be absurdly low if you bargain well. As I live in Cairo I'm well aware of the prices, so that helps.

The main problem is that the tourist police do nothing to stop the touts, so it can be a bit of a free-for-all.

As it is the HOT season, be sure to make it there early, by 8am or earlier. Wear good shoes that don't slip, a good hat, and bring plenty of drinking water. The area is quite dusty (not to mention polluted from proximity to the highway), and inside the Pyramids can be quite humid and musty if there are many people inside at the same time. You'll need 2-3 hours to see most of the sites. You also won't be able to bring your camera inside the Pyramids (though the guards may ask for a bribe and let you go). Best to avoid Friday, as the site closes for prayers, but not a problem if you make it there very early however.

Buy a guidebook to the Pyramids and decide beforehand your plan of what you'll see, that will make your visit easier. Safe journey!

Last edited by Canuck2012; Jun 6, 2013 at 3:53 am