FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cambridge City Centre {GBR}
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:40 am
BotB

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
DoubleTree Cambridge (U.K.) Trip Reports and Reviews

I realise that this thread is over two years old but it seems a shame to create a new one when the information is still relevant...MODS, please move if you feel otherwise.

Pictorial review of Doubletree Cambridge, UK.

View from Balcony left by BA_pics, on Flickr

Haven't seen a review of this property for some time so thought I would check it out as I happened to be visiting in the area.

Location: Excellent, once you get here. A bit tricky trying to get the sat nav to find the place without using roads that are closed to all but buses! I would suggest going via The Fen Causeway A1134 until you cross the river Cam and then at the T junction turn left onto Trumpington Street and then turn left again into Mill Lane and then follow it around once you hit the water again to the left into Granta Place (which is a dead end street ending at the Doubletree car park). There are no sign posts for the Doubletree that I could see but easy enough once you knew what to look for. The speed limit is 20 mile an hour and there are quite a few pedestrians as well as cyclists on these fairly narrow roads so do drive slowly.

The signs say to park at the entrance if you are a car driver but ignore that unless you have some heavy luggage to unload first. Drive around to behind the Doubletree and enter the car park (take a ticket at the barrier). The car park seemed quite large and is used by locals wanting to walk along the river and use the gym in the Doubletree. For hotel guests the rate is now £ 13.50 / day with in/out privileges.

King Bed by BA_pics, on Flickr

Check in: Quick and friendly check in done at the small desk by the entrance. Diamond recognition and welcome given, along with DT cookie. Wi-Fi is via swisscom and requires a credit card sized access pass they give you (for diamonds and golds)…they did ask how many devices I had so I assume you could get as many passes as you needed.

There are elevators and I received the room I had booked which was a King bed river view with private balcony. They did give me a room on the top floor and away from the elevators so I did appreciate that.

view from balcony right by BA_pics, on Flickr

The building is definitely an older one and has seen better days but once you get into the rooms the views and the location are worth it. Prices are quite expensive in Cambridge as a rule I find so the price is high but not much higher than other locations IMO.

The Room: The room is quite small and definitely is only for two people (no room for a roll away bed here). The room is air conditioned which is nice if it does get too hot for you (this is England though so that is not all too likely or too often )

Small but nice balcony by BA_pics, on Flickr

There is a fairly big wardrobe area with a room safe, bathrobes and slippers as well as the usual place to hang things up. An extra blanket and pillow are also here along with the ironing board and iron. I had enough room to use the luggage stand in the wardrobe area as well.

Wardrobe area and safe by BA_pics, on Flickr

Wardrobe area by BA_pics, on Flickr

The bathroom is modern and done quite nicely. I am not a fan of shower curtains which they use here. The water pressure on the 3rd floor was not the best but sufficient.

Bathroom 3 by BA_pics, on Flickr

Bathroom 2 by BA_pics, on Flickr

Bathroom 1 by BA_pics, on Flickr

The view from the room towards the river Cam as well as out on the balcony is stunning and worth the price alone. There are some very nice outdoor tables on the lawn of the hotel if you don't have such a room where you can still enjoy the view and people watch.

View to river Cam from inside by BA_pics, on Flickr

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking and hope this review helps others in the future.

View back to entrance by BA_pics, on Flickr

Entrance into room view by BA_pics, on Flickr

desk water and fruit by BA_pics, on Flickr

I would recommend this place and come back and stay here in the warmer months personally but likely go to a different hotel in winter when the balcony and weather were cold.