FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with an engagement ring
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:26 pm
kdoughboy

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'd go for the glasses case.

Depending on the US airport and some other things, the TSA have a history of subjecting strip search machine opt-outs to the extraordinary frisking along with ETDing of bag and/or bag contents. It's not always the case, but it has been often enough.
I'm wondering if maybe I should try to make it a little more conspicuous when it goes through the x-ray machine. If it's hidden too well, that may raise TSA's suspicions. If I hide it from her while also making it clear to an x-ray screener that yes, this is a ring, perhaps it won't raise their suspicions. Then, once past the checkpoint, I can move it to a more secure location when she visits the restroom.

I typically fly through LAX and have always had pleasant (well, as pleasant as they can get) experiences with opt-outs. It's always the smaller airports where you start running into issues. That said, those have all been for domestic flights and I will be going through the TBIT this time, so I'm not sure how security there compares. In any case, I'll send her through first and tell her to go get seats at the gate if they choose to pull me aside for additional screening.