FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rimowa Carry on with Eagle Creek Packing system
Old May 31, 2013, 12:22 am
Swissaire

drguitar;

I have used Eagle Creek packing cubes, and the packing system in the past, with the Rimowa luggage we own.

Some were in vinyl, some in nylon, general fabric (Eagle Creek), and a Tumi in leather. None really worked very well in the IATA Topas my wife and I own. Too big, too small, too stiff, one was sticky, and a few hard to zip, or unclasp open. My wife does continue to carry a slim yellow neoprene zip folder for her toiletries.

A few years ago Rimowa began carrying zippered shirt bags, manufactured from the slippery but elegant lining material used in the better made case models. These are sold as options along with a laundry bag, shoes, bags, and a full multiple-suit garment bag ( for one to two full suits, plus shirts ), which includes a folding hanger and removable frame.

The garment bag may interest you as it offers shoulder protection, a full length zipper, and a mesh and material mix in the foot area,, for ventilation. It will also snap together as a tri-folding garment piece item, which I have carried onboard separately from the carry-on case a few times.

I still own an old LH leather garment bag, but I find it easier to work with the Rimowa, which carries more volume. While I have never found a use for the silicone frame, the garment bag when hung in a closet, or folded and placed in an overhead bin, does the job.

The shirt bags are sold in different colours, and are exactly the right size for the carry-on, and checked luggage cases. One of the colours is a dark grey, or charcoal which would be a good match for the Rimowa Stealth case you mention

The bags allow for protection of items, and a slight stretch if one needs it for additional packing. They also compress easily if needed. By different colour coding for each bag, I know what is packed in each, or at least should be, when I travel. One shoe bag carries my everlasting Havaiianas from Brasil that set me back about R$ 5.00, or 1.50 CHF, for use at the pool, lake, river, or beach.

Match the Rimowa shirt bags with one of the poly Rimowa amenity cases, and you have a well organized, stylish, and functional travel kit. No fumbling around: Just open the case and slide out what you need quickly, and easily.

Add further a Rimowa Business case, or Notebook case, using the back strap to slide over the top of the Topas handles, and you can easily travel for weeks using the IATA case alone, sans additional check through.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited by Swissaire; May 31, 2013 at 12:33 am