FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:19 pm
ankitgu

Originally Posted by iahphx
All my Citicards were shut down this weekend as well (I found out while on vacation trying to buy gas). At first I thought it might be a fraud alert, but then when the rep couldn't tell me the reason for the closure, I knew what happened. And then I came to see all the new shutdowns reported here.

Since getting the Preferred card earlier this year, I've probably averaged 15K in monthly spending; some for your typical gas and groceries and other routine purchases, and more at drugstores. I'd only spent a few thousand on my current cycle after seeing all the reports here, although I did drain my TY account in the past 2 weeks of almost $1000 in TY points with flights and gift cards. Not sure if that had anything to do with the shutdown, but I obviously wasn't going to leave the points there.

I'm not really sure what to do here. I'm pretty sure Citi won't just start listening to our complaints. I'm not sure if the Feds will. I actually don't mind very much that Citi shut down my Preferred card. I mean, that's a lousy thing to do, but it's within the realm. I don't think they have the right to confiscate my remaining TY points (under 30,000 worth), and I don't think it's right for them to shut down all my other Citi credit cards. That might hurt my overall credit rating, and do material harm to me.

It would be helpful if everyone keeps updating us on their situations, and what government responses they've received.
I had all 3 of my cards closed recently. The frustrating part is that a day before the statement closed, I called into them to ask about why I couldn't access my rewards site. The gentleman on the phone said it's temporary and that my account was under review, but that I don't need to worry about my points being missing. I confirmed this with him and specifically said that I don't need to think about losing my points, and he confirmed this. A day or two later, my statement closed, and my card stopped working. My rewards account is closed and doesn't show up at all when I login now as well.

I'm not one to push my luck, though he did tell me that my points were secure.

I'm not sure what to do - I only had maybe 30k of points remaining, so it's not worth any kind of serious thought as an individual.

If someone here knows how to take this further as a group or with federal regulators in some way, let me know, because I'd be glad to look at supporting it.