Old May 21, 13, 10:05 am
exerda
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
IME it depends largely on whether you get an agent in Houston or somewhere else. (Shock, I know.)

I had a lot of bag issues early in the year, though the March timeframe. Back in February, the initial agent I spoke with was a "1K baggage" agent (self-identified as such) and she had great advice and did a lot to track down my bags.

The next 5 agents I spoke to were in Houston (self-identified as such) and most couldn't tell me anything more than the Web site, claimed that there was no way they could "intercept" the bag--that it was going to go all the way to its tagged destination, that despite missing the last flight of the day and being stored overnight at a connecting airport, there was no way for them to track it down and stop it. On the way back, they tried telling me stuff just to get me off the phone ("Oh, it's on flight XXX," one said, when it was actually in fact still going the opposite direction on flight YYY...), or, "It's with the delivery service now, and they will be contacting you." (It most assuredly was not.)

I finally got another guy who identified himself as a "1K baggage" agent, and he was livid on my behalf about everything and managed to at least figure out where the bag actually was and did everything he could to get it expedited to me.