FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old May 19, 2013, 1:17 pm
miniliq

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Correct! Although the July 1, 1941 Western schedule I took a look at lists a Boeing 247D between operated between Los Angeles and Lethbridge with stops in Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Butte, Helena, Great Falls and Cut Bank. Some of these were flag stops. In this schedule, connecting service is listed for San Diego via a stop in Long Beach. WA would later serve most of these smaller U.S. destinations in the intermountain west with L-188 Electras followed by B737-200s.....
You're right -- I missed the footnote in that schedule that referred to the 247D. The fascinating part of that schedule to me was the offer of a seven-night, 8-day train/motorcoach tour of Glacier, Waterton and Banff Parks (7 nights at the magnificent old railroad hotels, all of which I've stayed at) for the princely sum of $104.45! I shared a rented house in Waterton Lakes with two other engineers during the summers of 1959 and 1960, and we made many trips "across the border" to Many Glaciers to hang out with the college kids who staffed the hotels in the summer. I guess it's not really surprising that the questions on this forum trigger so many memories (fond and otherwise!).