FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: YYZ-FRA-PRG or YYZ-MUC-PRG? Aeroplan redemption questions
Old May 19, 2013, 8:24 am
gtpdiddy

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Dear OP:

Booking J reward travel for next April for two people. YYZ-PRA is the first leg. Looks like it's available for the dates we want, but we have two options:

YYZ - FRA - PRA: AC872 (777-300) to FRA, 1hr15min at FRA then LH1392 to PRA.

YYZ - MUC - PRA: AC846 (Airbus330-300) to MUC, 1hr20min at MUC then LH1690 to PRA.

My question is, 1) which is a better J product (comfort, width/ pitch, meals, not necessarily needing to chat with my partner) in late April 2013? 777 or 330?

>>>>>Both are same seating arrangements: Herringbone. 77W may upgrade to the new 3-cabin configuration and if they fly YYZ-FRA in that config you'll have a staggered 1-2-2 config like in Swiss Air. Both hard products are fine, and meals will be same.

2) is 1hr 15min. enough of a connection at FRA? Would our flight out of YYZ be delayed? (I assume it's fairly easy to rebook on next flight to PRA though given it's the LH hub).

>>>>>MUC is a much better airport to connect, especially if flight is delayed, although FRA has likely more flights to PRA so if you miss a connection you can likely fly out the same day. If you have a J ticket all the way you can relax at the LH Business Lounge while waiting.

3) We are prepared to pay the scamcharges for 1-stop to PRA (unfortunately LX at ZRH is either sold out in reward or unavailable yet), as comfort and easy travel are most important to us. We are not elites with AP but hold Amex Plats, though we don't plan on staying at either Germany airport too long if we can get to PRA ASAP. Generally speaking, is FRA that bad? MUC is much superior etc etc?

>>>>I would recommend MUC then if you want easy of connection. If you have mobility issues you can certainly request wheelchair assistance which can definitely get you through quickly to make a tight FRA connection. It's a life saver in FRA.

4) Does AC plan on revamping their J class in YYZ- FRA/ MUC soon? Changing to the "new" flatbeds? I'm claustrophobic and find the current J a bit daunting.

>>>See above. If you want privacy take the last row of the first part of the J cabin, most private. It's not clausterphobic on either configuration, nor it really matters with the aircraft type, though 77W will have a wider body.

5) According to AP chart, it's 105K AP miles needed for Euro 2 travel in J, correct? Two stopovers etc. included? We will eventually travel to Greece (final destination) then head to Rome then back to YYZ. What's the best J product I can book from Rome to YYZ? Or from anywhere in Italy? Thanks a lot!

>>> You may consider booking YYZ-PRA then Greece-Rome-YYZ as an open jaw. If you plan to stay in Rome then maybe YYZ-PRA then Rome-YYZ as open jaw and buy a discount airline fare intra-Europe.

Thanks. I would like to book the flight today (assuming AP is open today Sunday May 19 til midnight). is AP open tomorrow (Victoria Day)?

>>>>AP is open 24/7 or until midnight?