FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion
View Single Post
Old May 18, 13, 6:12 pm
WHBM

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
2) British Island Airways (BIA) with the BAC One-Eleven is correct! I believe two of the routes flown by the carrier on behalf of Air Florida were AMS-LGW and ZRH-MAD (perhaps WHBM can confirm this)......
BIA One-Elevens certainly operated various AF feeder flights from London Gatwick, I am aware of Amsterdam, Brussels, Dusseldorf and Zurich. I don't have any record of them doing operations away from their Gatwick base like Zurich to Madrid.

The US carrier who operated for Air Florida across the Atlantic was Rich International, one of the many Miami-based supplemental carriers, with DC8-62s. These ran for a while routes which did not justify a DC-10. They retained their Rich colours but with Air Florida titles.

Regarding the charter DC-10s, I can, alas, recall one operating from Manchester on, I see, 25 April 1980. I had gone to a business meeting about 10 miles SW of Manchester airport, and getting out of my car around 9 am I heard an aircraft climbing out, looked up, and saw a Dan-Air 727 emerge briefly from the clouds and then disappear again. Went inside, and when we stopped for lunch went outside and, in a now cloudless sky, saw the Air Florida DC-10 also climbing out with a charter for Orlando, an operation novel to Manchester that year. It would have been at just this moment that the Dan-Air 727 struck a mountainside at Tenerife, in the Canary Islands, at the end of its 4 hour flight as it descended in cloud to its holiday destination, with the loss of all on board. I was probably one of the last people to see it.