FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - alaska itinerary help with kids
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2013, 7:34 pm
RSonny2010

Programs: UA Club Card, UA & DL Platinum; Hyatt's Gold Passport, AVIS President's Club, AA, GOES
ANC

Originally Posted by fti
You might be better off starting your own thread about a separate trip, but I will at least quote your post so people know who is responding to whom.

October is pretty much "winter" in much of that part of Alaska. Very good chance of snow already. Who is "we"? I might just enjoy the drive south of Anchorage - Turnagain Arm as it is called. Lots to do/see in that area. Potter Marsh, the scenic pullouts, Girdwood, and the Wildlife Conservation Center for example. Depending on trail conditions, there are some nice hiking trails in the area too. The Winner Creek Trail near Girdwood has the hand tram if it is still functional that time of year (they usually close it in the winter but I am not sure when they do that). Easiest and shortest hike to it is from the Crow Creek Mine side of the trail. You might also take a drive through the tunnel to Whittier (once an hour) to see this small and quirky town. Again, if snow hasn't come yet and the trail is in good shape, the Portage Pass Trail is nice, at least to the point where you can see the Portage Glacier.

You could also just stay in Anchorage and see/do a lot of things there too - it just depends on your interests. But with over 24 hours I would tend to get out of Anchorage and see some of the scenery.
Thanks for the tips "fti." I'll definitely do some research about Whittier. My wife and I actually wanted to travel to Fairbanks instead of ANC. I flew several sorties out of the Air Force Base during the Gulf War as a KC-135 Boom Operator. I'd like to go back up and enjoy the scenery. I just got careless and selected ANC when I should have selected Fairbanks. Oh well. I guess we will have to make the best of my snafu...