FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old May 11, 2013, 6:04 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by zeddy218
I would greatly appreciate some pointers regarding how to achieve the following goal. I'm trying to get 4 people scheduled for a one-way award from Central America to Hawaii with a stop-over (BZE - DFW (stop) - HNL/OGG).

The stopover will be about 3 months long, so I realize I need to find seats now, and then push out the second leg once space is available.

Milesaaver space just opened up for the BZE - DFW on the date I wanted (next April), so I put that on hold. I'm now trying to piece together the rest.

I have found 2 seats from DFW - SEA - OGG and 2 seats on DFW-PDX-OGG. My questions are as follows:

1. If I book 2 seats BZE - DFW (stop) - SEA - OGG and two BZE - DFW (stop) - PDX - OGG, could I move the DFW - OGG portion to be direct without charge if I find space available? - It appears the answer is yes, but confirmation would be appreciated.

2. The itinerary above is not pricing out at the milesaaver off-peak level (15k), just the milesaaver level (17.5k). Is it because part of the itinerary is on Alaska Air? Will I get a 2.5k refund later if I switch to all AA legs?

Thank you for your assistance.
There is no off-peak award offered between Central and North America on the Partner award chart. The off-peak award between those two zones is only offered on an all-AA-metal itinerary.

Because AS is not a oneworld member, American does not waive the redeposit/reclaim fee normally charged when switching from one award type (oneworld and Other Partners award) to another type (all-AA-metal award). So yes, you would be charged the fee if you were able to switch to AA's DFW-OGG nonstop down the road.

Bear in mind that all travel on an award must be completed within one year of award-ticket issuance, not one year from date of first flight. So if you book the award tickets today and the first flight is next April, you would not be able to get a three-month stopover at DFW, since all travel on the award would have to be completed by May 11, 2014.