FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Las Vegas Hotels - FHR experience [2010 -2014]
Old May 10, 2013, 11:37 pm
jammanxc

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by scott1212
Yeah, I was serious about the wait, and after waiting hours to speak to a checkin clerk, many people then waited another hour or more in the belldesk line to have their bags held since their rooms weren't ready! It was unbelievably frustrating. MGM Grand is simply grossly inefficient, at least when it comes to checking in. It was insanely bad on that Sunday, but over the next several days I continued to observe unacceptable lines to check-in. Thankfully, I was able to check out on-line.

A friend flying in that day tried to check in for MGM Grand at the airport (I had sent him a text urging him to do so), but said they were closed. This was mid-day on a Sunday.

I can list a dozen other things that made MGM Grand terrible during that stay, but I don't want to relive it. Suffice it to say, there are much nicer properties on the Strip and they're often not much more expensive. MGM Grand is simply too (physically) big for its own good; I think it isn't cost effective for them to staff it at "full" capacity, yet they strive to hit full capacity as often as they can.
this is what you do.. go to the Preferred/VIP check-in desk and tip them $20 for them to check you in there and perhaps score an upgrade with that same $20 ($20 trick).. never wait in line again