FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Late arriving crew for a flight the next day?
Old May 3, 2013, 12:58 pm
thegrailer

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Thank you

It's part of a mileage run and I am having a hard time making the rest of the flights work [part of the risk of a complicated routing for miles]. I understand that a direct is better at this point but my last UA generated route change was more hassle than it was worth trying to get original routing credit. UA CS stated that it would be a one-time exception and no more.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Often1
The snippets which carriers use are not intended to provide deep background. "Late arriving crew" in this particular context likely means that UAX already knows that the crew schedule for this flight will arrive too late to operate the flight tomorrow. FAA rules strictly limit the # of hours worked and mandate crew rest periods.

As to the PITA, namely missing the connection at PHL, if you have no other good connections, you can ask for a refund of the segment (not a voucher, but a credit to the original form of payment) and take the train to PHL in less than 2 hours.
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
There is an active weather waiver in Chicago today, it's likely that your flight tomorrow is a down-the-line flight impacted by the weather in Chicago today. Crew backed up somewhere because of delays in Chicago and due to FAA regs, etc., they may have needed to swap crews which means the new crew is coming from another location, etc, etc. Not that uncommon when weather waivers are in effect at the hubs.