FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back Into Action, Back to the Back – To Chicago with AA and BA - with a big surprise
Old May 2, 2013, 1:52 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE

The meal arrived on a tray - which considering this was a sleeper service makes sense as the flight is maximised for sleeping - not a full dining experience.

So I could say that I had the meal in the interests of my readers... But that would be a lie

The chicken was of a reasonable sized portion, with salad, feta cheese and beetroot - Not a combination you’d think that goes together, but it seemed to go well as a light meal. The chicken itself was a bit tough to get into, but was quite flavoursome... and rather good for a late evening meal.

By the time I polished off the meal, I wasn’t in the mood for the Pear tart (and the amount of cream on it would had probably required another Lactaid or two,

I did accept a Kir Royale. Or two.

Kir Royale

With that - and the cabin already in darkness - I popped my seat into the bed position and drifted away to Richard Hammond trying not to sink a Lotus. The joy of watching programmes you’ve seen before is that you can mentally shut down without paying attention, whilst knowing the show inside out. Doesn’t make it any less entertaining.

And I had a pretty darn good sleep across the pond. Didn't need the blanket, as the temperature was fine to me.

Lets speak of the seat before we go on - after all, it's most of the reason why you're paying the money to go Club World.

IFE at 63J

I found the seat to be comfortable in all phases of flight, without it being over-firm or over-soft. The privacy divider is a nice touch as it gives you a bit of peace and quiet on a service - whilst allowing the crew to carry out their service.

The seat is turns into fully flat seat and on the top deck, it's arranged in a Ying-Yang format, with window seats facing in reverse and aisle seats (on the top deck) facing forward.

Seat controls

In bed mode

In relax mode

Yang seat - not my stuff on there I should add...

Forward view

I woke up just before the lights came on, and it was time for breakfast. I therefore turned the seat from a bed back into something relaxing. The table was laid and a fruit plate arrived with yoghurt, coffee and orange juice

A good start - the fruit was fresh, and orange juice and coffee woke me up slowly. The Yoghurt was put aside

Fruit and coffee

Soon enough, one of the flight attendants came round with the bacon rolls... And offered me two of them off the bat.

This - I like

The bacon roll itself was a little dry, but the bacon tasted of bacon and not burnt, rubbery or anywhere in-between.

Of course, to be entertained, I hit the IFE system and found the boys from the small rouge one were playing

It’s cold outside, no kind of atmosphere, I’m all alone - more or less... let me fly far away from here... fun fun fun... in the sun sun sun...

As cruising continued I started to raise the window as a few people already had done so..

A rare view for me...

Looking at the amenity kit, it hasn’t changed since I flew Club World… and that’s a good thing. Inside the bag are all the usual things

Again - useful contents and they work. Speaking of amenities, the small room is pretty much that... a small room, decorated with a flower and Elemis toiletries

Soon enough the plane began its decent to Heathrow, as the bright of the day turned into the murk of a “spring” morning in the United Kingdom.

The crew buttoned down the top deck and the plane descended through the English countryside, landing on 09L and bringing an end to this journey

[youtube width=560" height=315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOLOYLRDQoo[/youtube]

Of course it didn't stop the male of the family unbuckling his seatbelt to get items from the overhead locker and being told a few times to sit down until the plane had come to a stop.

Sigh.

Finally, the plane docked at the B docks and the bongs went off. I got up and retrieved my baggage whilst the parents of the kids were organising themselves, and I headed to the stairway, thanking the crew.

Heading down the stairs.

Overall: A good performance on all round. The hard product is pretty good to me, with the seat comfortable both in bed and seat mode. The soft product was delivered well, and the crew did a great job delivering what I've started to expect of BA in any class - a polished service. Yes, the screaming kids did take the edge off an almost perfect flight, but after they settled down... the flight was relaxing... and did the job.

Last edited by Kevincm; May 2, 2013 at 1:59 pm