FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back Into Action, Back to the Back – To Chicago with AA and BA - with a big surprise
Old May 2, 2013, 1:41 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part 5: Back to O'Hare and a hop around the AA AAdmiral's Clubs...

The Pictures:After looping around the loop and doing a few other things, it was time to head back to the Hyatt. Of course, rather than pay $50 to a cabbie, I paid another $2.25 and caught a train back to O’Hare. 50 minutes later, I was at O’Hare station; on my way back the Hyatt Regency.

On the shuttle I observed something interesting - a member of Hyatt staff was checking people into the hotel as they sat down. What an interesting innovation, so all they would need to do is pick up their keys at reception.

After arriving back, I picked up my trash, combined and sorted my bags, and headed off for the shuttle that would take me back to O’Hare T3.

Again, the shuttle was quick with just a single stop at T3 - which is helpful as the shuttles run every 15 minutes.

This time - as I wasn’t in a rush - I made the effort to find the Premium customer area. I was met with a guardian who let me through, and my check in commenced. Both of my bags were accepted without question (with one bag getting the dreaded “heavy” sticker) - and boarding passes issued

From there it was through to security, and straight to a Nude-O-Scope.

Of course, I opted out, and had a manual inspection. Though if the TSA do like the touchy feely sort of thing, I’d love a box of chocolate... or dinner... or even a new bag (no TSA - I haven’t forgotten about that incident from a few years ago. The miracle it took to sort that bag out...)

Passing the Harley Davidson store...

Through security, I decided to eschew the benefits of the FlAAgship lounge and instead head to the AAdmiral’s Club near the gates.

And pass the hall of flags…

Well that was the plan. AA has other plans for me.

I headed off to the G Gate AAdmiral’s club and after a minor hike; I seemed to find my way to the club.

AAdmirals Club G Gates

I was allowed in and given a premium drinks voucher and found my way into quite a small lounge.

And yes, it was packed to the rafters.

So yes, I converted my premium voucher into a premium drink

Well it has been coming. Regulars will know what this is...

Walking around the lounge there are the usual seating areas and of course some interesting sights....

Computers

Board Games. Hang on... board games? Hmm. Connect 4 before a flight seems appropriate at O’Hare...

Cruets

Coffee and Mixes.

Now as I was waiting (and pondering why my converter wasn’t fitting into the floor plug, , noticed my phone was making a lot of buzzing. Either the vibrator motor was on the blink... or I had been bombarded with messages.

No guesses which one it was.

I saw a count on the messages icon... 3 messages... and another one buzzed in…then another. Gate changes galore. Wonderful!

I exited the club and headed for the new gate... crossing back across the terminal and through the hall of flags, and to the new gate.

Under the globe...

Now at the gate there were the flight deck crew, the flight attendant.. and that was it.

Uhoh.

A plane was still docked awaiting pushback, whilst there was no gate agent to be seen. A quick chat to the captain indicated that our plane was still waiting to dock and be serviced. I took that as a hint to head to Duty Free... and also head to the lounge.

Duty Free was its usual self, with the machines rejecting both of my cards (grr... paid cash, but annoying when the cards worked fine later), and then it was off to the G Gates AAdmiral’s Lounge

H Gates AAdmiral’s Club

Again, I was welcomed and given another drinks voucher, and directed upstairs to this infinitely larger club than the one at the G Gates.

Now this is a lot better in terms of a lounge - still busy (as any hub lounge is) but lots of space rather than the cupboard that the H Lounge is.

Lightshades

Snacks

Coffee and waters

A busy space

I found a nice spot to watch planes, whilst keeping a track of AA4008 and if it had turned up at the gate yet. And that wait got longer and longer... and in the back of my head it was slowly dawning on me that my connection at Toronto was shrinking by the second.

Not what I wanted.

The snacks are akin to a United Club, with food for order if people wanted food. It’s a good option for those to eat, but if you’re coming from an European Lounge, an Asian Lounge or even a Canadian lounge, the offerings are a bit sub-par in terms of food.

I just partook of water was more in the mood to get on as opposed to sitting in the lounge.

Eventually, I saw that the plane had finally reached the gate, and I headed downstairs back to the gate area.

Heading back to gate H5, the passengers were exiting the ERJ-145, whilst everyone at the gate was getting impatient to load the plane.

A boarding call was finally made, and I presented my boarding pass. The card was ripped, and I was sent on my merry way to the plane.

Last edited by Kevincm; May 2, 2013 at 1:51 pm