FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Capital One Aspire credit card - any real world experience?
Old May 1, 2013, 11:55 am
AMCyyz
Company Representative - Capital One

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Minor update: after I replied to Capital One's canned email with a few choice words and requested escalation to a supervisor, I received a slightly more meaningful reply. The customer service rep said that my complaint "was forwarded to the appropriate department for review", and offered a $30 credit as a goodwill gesture for the delay and inconvenience. Still, they said that I need to wait for the claims processor to make a decision. While I certainly appreciate the goodwill gesture, it doesn't solve the basic problem: I now have no confidence in the insurance protection offered by Capital One.

As a result of this, I am already putting all the purchases that may require insurance through AMEX Rewards Gold. Since with that card you get two points per dollar spent on groceries, gas, travel and drugstores, there's no difference between its yield and the Capital One Aspire for these purchases.

If you ask me, Capital One's choice of travel claims processor was a pretty dumb move in terms of cardholder retention.

Hi @Mauricio23 – Please accept my apology for my absence on this thread. For some reason, I didn’t receive any notification that there were new posts; otherwise I would have jumped into the conversation right away.

The Aspire Travel World MasterCard is considered top in class for the insurance benefits it provides, which is why it's so popular among Canadian travelers and consumers. The Flight Delay benefits offered on the Aspire card are similar to the Flight Delay benefits covered by other credit cards in the marketplace.

After reading your post, we reviewed your claim with the underwriter and with WTP, the administrator of the benefits. We found a couple of discrepancies:

First, there was a lengthy delay in reviewing and processing your Flight Delay claim. In addition, it would appear that the claims the administrator reviewing your claim did not investigate the "late inbound flight" clause provided by the airline more fully. It’s quite conceivable that the delay may have indeed been caused by a mechanical breakdown or a weather delay.

As a result of this review, the claim will be processed and you will be reimbursed for your expenses in full. Could you please contact us at [email protected] so we can discuss this matter further with you. I think you’ll be pleased with the outcome.

Best regards,

Andrew