FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:31 pm
kangarooroo

Originally Posted by tom911
Depends how much you're going to fly each year. If it adds up to 50K I'd rather have the 100% bonus miles at that level on AA versus the 50% bonus miles at the same level at UA. If you put 25K on each carrier you'll only get 25% bonus miles on both and that would be a major hit. You have to plot out your entire year and see what it might look like, including flights besides DEN-DFW. If you can hit the 50K/Platinum level at AA you're going to build up a lot more miles over time than at the same level (Gold) at UA.

Again, it depends what your projected year end total is. If you can hit 50K on AA to get the 100% bonus miles, you could put everything after that on UA, but you'd only get 25% bonus miles at the lowest elite tier there, in effect losing 75% extra bonus miles you'd be accruing at AA.

Keep in mind challenges are based on points, not miles, so your decision can't be made until you know how many points your fare will accrue and if you can do it within the challenge "window". If you have projected travel this year, I'd get to the 100% bonus miles at Platinum as quick as I could. Once you start getting 100% bonus miles it's a perk you're not going to want to easily surrender. You may very well find the value there when you look at the extra miles you'd pick up for the year at the Platinum level.

If you're not looking at building up miles for award travel, or things like upgrades, and strictly want the best-timed flight, that might work for you, but just make sure you know what you're potentially giving up.

Thank you so much for your response! It really helps a newbie like me out to hear it from the experience road warriors I don't think I'll hit 50k this year by flying to Dallas every week, and it's hard for me to plan my year out when my travel plans can change at the drop of a dime. However, since I'll be flying to Dallas for the foreseeable future, I think I'll switch completely over to AA and try to accrue as many as I can there. If anything, I'll keep my UA status through next year anyways, and if my travel plans change, I can change accordingly... It's hard to justify a carrier preference > client demands when selecting from limited flight options