FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Free" J class YYZ-LHR tickets cost $1136
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:58 am
heraclitus

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
How has this not been litigated as a class action?

No one person in their right mind would sue AE/AC ("Don't blame me! It's the other guy!") given the amounts involved, but when you put it together there is some real dinero at stake.

I don't think people would object to REASONABLE fees, but when you get into these absurd scenarios where the YQ and other fees on a reward ticket sometimes EXCEED the value of a cash fare in Y, then I'm sorry... that is just plain wrong.

And I know someone is going to step up and say "Well, it's their program and you have to play by their rules". But the reality is that people have spent great wads of money expecting something that approximates FREE award travel. Because that's what Aeroplan's adverts say... they don't say "get a $200 discount on trips to London when you use 60,000 Aeroplan Points".

Maybe it's time to start calling around... hello Tony Merchant, are you listening?

EDIT: Sonofagun, I looked at Merchant Law's website and there already is a class action against Air Miles for its bogus fees

https://www.merchantlaw.com/classactions/airmiles.php

There is one against AE too, but only in relation to expiring miles. I'd happily get in on one against AE for its ridiculous fees.

Last edited by heraclitus; Apr 30, 2013 at 9:04 am