FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:11 pm
vandrei

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
How else could anyone interpret these words:

"Bonus award miles and Premier Qualifying earnings based on the new fare."

There was a link, it said: "See Chart"

The only way I could be convinced that this was not an outright lie is if the "See Chart" contained clearly visible text that described the exceptions you were subsequently pointed to.

But, even then, why say: "Bonus award miles and Premier Qualifying earnings based on the new fare?"

Who, and under what circumstances, would get what was promised by that statement? It sounds like - nobody, ever. Never.

Did you click on the link to the chart? Do you recall what it said?

Even the exception text that they sent to you doesn't hold water:

"Paid upgrades are considered a special offer. Mileage accrual will be based on the original purchased fare."

Because, how do you know when you have a paid upgrade or when you were simply buying up to the P fare?

As we all know very well, some of these offers are TODs/HODs when they allow you to get into F without paying the prevailing fare.

But, *everyone* has the option to "buy up" into F, at all times. For those not getting a special offer, it's just the fare difference from current fare to prevailing F fare.

That is not an "upgrade" - that is a change of fare.

This is sleazy beyond anything I've seen thus far.

This may fall into DOT jurisdiction and I'm sure it falls under FTC jurisdiction.
The chart took me to this page on United's Web site. Per that page, P class earns 150%.

My itinerary and receipt for both itineraries shows me in P class on both tickets.