FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:52 pm
vandrei

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Unhappy Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

In Jan. 2013, I booked tickets for two trips this month, one to SFO and a second to SLC. I believe that the original tickets were in L class.

Immediately after booking each of the tickets, I was presented with a cash buy-up offers to first class. According to the offers, I would earn additional MileagePlus miles based on the new fare class (in this case, both tickets were booked into P class, which should earn 150% PQM/RDM and 1.5 PQS).

I ended up taking both offers because I felt that the price was reasonable and, frankly, flying across the country (or almost all the way, in the case of SLC) in domestic first class is still way ahead of flying in economy.

Note that you can get similar cash buy-up offers by opening up a future reservation in your United.com account and clicking "Upgrade Your Flight," if available. Clicking on "What's the difference?" yields the following screenshot, taken from one of my future reservations:

Also note that these were NOT TOD/OLCI upgrade offers (which will book into ZL class for a L class ticket) or mile-based upgrades. The offers changed the underlying fare basis on both tickets from L to P, as reflected on the itinerary and receipt pages that I received by e-mail and can still view on my United.com account. The Premier Desk agent whom I called (see further below) confirmed that both tickets were P class tickets.

[United Hub also has a chart illustrating the difference between buy ups and mile-based upgrades.]

Anyways, this month, I went on both trips and had a lot of fun.

However...

When I got home, I found out that both flights were credited to my MileagePlus account as if they were booked in L class.

I called both the MileagePlus Service Center and the Premier Desk.

The MileagePlus Service Center pointed me to this Web page that, under "Exceptions," states:
"Note that the booking class that appears on your ticket may differ from the booking class that the operating airline uses to determine flight miles earned."
and this Web page that, under FAQs, states
Will I earn additional miles for upgrading to a premium cabin?

No. Paid upgrades are considered a special offer. Mileage accrual will be based on the original purchased fare.
On that basis, the MileagePlus Service Center refused to credit my account with additional PQM/RDM/PQS.

When I called the Premier Desk, the agent, who was far more helpful, confirmed that both of my tickets were P class tickets...but, when I mentioned the cash buy-up offer, she said that United's policy was that the tickets would only credit into the original L class because they were obtained through a cash buy-up offer. Other P class tickets (at higher prices) would credit into P class.

The agent seemed a bit confused and very cautious. The agent also mentioned that there were other Premier members calling, unhappy that they were not receiving the additional advertised PQM/RDM/PQS for cash buy-ups. The agent in fact told me that if I had not mentioned the cash buy-ups, she would have thought both tickets were P class tickets.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I feel that I have been deceived (bait and switch), and I am looking for next steps.

Moderators, if you feel this should be merged into another thread, please do so. Thanks.