FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:14 pm
SFOPhD

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by i'mlovin'it
Hi all. I'm new to AA, so learning the rules. Something happened on trip I'm on and I'm looking for some advice on how to avoid a repeat.

About 2 months ago, I booked DCA-DFW-LIM round trip in economy. After the flight was ticketed, I called the ExPlat desk to apply eVIPs to the the PNR. They wait listed me on all segments.

About a week later, I log into AA.com and realize I can't see upgrade status on the site (or that an upgrade was even requested), like I'm used to on UA. I call AA back to confirm that I'm wait listed. They say yes.

Cut to today. No upgrade on DCA-DFW. No problem. I know that DFW-LIM is zeroed out in C, so I don't expect anything. When I get to the gate though, I notice that my name isn't even on the "Upgrade Requested" screen. I ask the GA if I'm in the system at all for the request. She says no.

So my question is, what happened? And is there a way to prevent me from disappearing off the upgrade list? I plan to call AA when I get to LIM, so I hope to at least have a shot at the upgrade.

Thanks!
There are two separate waitlists. One for before the flight, and another at the airport (kicks in about T-3 hours or so). I'm guessing the best explanation is that you were indeed on the waitlist before the flight, but somehow was not added to the airport waitlist.

For what it's worth, there is no conflict between the phone reps saying that you've been waitlisted and not seeing it in your online reservation. There is no similar notice like the one you see when a UA GPU gets waitlisted. I know, it takes faith in the system, but it is what it is.