FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Personal VPN Recommendation?
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:59 pm
arjunrc

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Nice setup. I have no NAS, but my router runs the free third party Tomato firmware, which includes an OpenVPN and PPTP server. ^
Ah that makes it much easier to manage. I had to go through more hoops, because my NAS did not natively support OpenVPN (ReadyNAS NV+) and I did not want to setup another computer for it. Many of the more modern NAS systems directly support OpenVPN (or, routers, that support Tomato/x-WRT etc).

But once done, its rock solid. I like OpenVPN because I can configure it anyway I want (for example, I don't want streaming videos to route through my VPN - performance issues, but regular browsing should be encrypted - so its split tunneling is useful and others). The only issue I faced (and subsequently solved) was when connecting to the VPN via 3G, specifically with ATT in the US (WiFi was never a problem anywhere) - in this setup, I would connect, but packets would not route. I figured using TCP instead of UDP and making some other tweaks made it work over all networks. Anyway, not as convenient as the web based VPN services, but much more configurable and free (well, discounting your own hacking time, which in my case is fun time)