FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska saltwater fishing - Homer or Seward?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:04 pm
PIONEER

I generally agree with GardyLoo.

Homer is supposedly the halibut capital of the world. We haven't fished out of there, but it is an interesting place, and there are numerous photos of big halibut catches. Halibut limits have been cut in various parts of Alaska, so you might want to check how many and of what size you can keep. Same for lings.

We spent a total of about a week at a lodge on the Kenai. As you probably know, the Kenai River is known for the biggest salmon in the state, and we got our share. At the time we were there, the limit was two per person for the trip, and there was a "slot" qualification. IIRC, it was something like you could keep up to 45" but had to release anything between 45 and 55, and beyond that you could keep it. The first fish that Ms. P got was in the slot, so we released it, but thereafter we each got the limit of two fish per person (for the trip) that were <46. One complaint that I would have about the lodge that we stayed at was that they didn't freeze and pack the fish. We had to take it into town and pay an additional fee for that. I would also add that the fish meat itself, once we got it home, wasn't that great. Nothing like a coho or Chinook from the ocean. If we ever go back to the Kenai, I think it will be catch and release regardless of size.

We did go out on the ocean one day out of Seward. It seemed to be a nice day, but the seas were fairly rough, and the fishing wasn't that great, but this is a very limited sample. Seward is also a very nice place. If you go there, be sure to check out the Alaska Sea Life center.