FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Positive Passenger Bag Matching (PPBM) on Domestic Flights - Impact on Reroutes/SBY?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:57 am
username
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Positive Passenger Bag Matching (PPBM) on Domestic Flights - Impact on Reroutes/SBY?

My regional jet flight into CLT got delayed on Friday. We sat on the tarmac for an hour and returned to gate. We were on a CRJ700 but the next 2 flights were CRJ900 and A319. Both departed before us as they had better weather tolerance, as we were told. They would not move passengers with checked bags.

Then, 4.5 hours later, they cancelled our flight. They sent the bags out to baggage claim and we all had to get our bags and re-book at the check-in counter. I chose to get into CLT and be stuck there. They tagged our bags for the last flgiht of the day.

When we got back to the boarding area and waited another 1+ hour, the original plane we were on, with the same crew, ended up taking us to CLT. The gate agents boarded us using the new-rebooked flight number. The cabin crew announced the old flight number.

I asked the FA if our bags would be on this flight or the other flight since there was a discrepancy in the flight number. She said the bags would be on this one. It did not make sense to me since the other flight was also operating. When the ground agent came onboard, I asked her. She said this one. Then the flight attendant came down on me for not trusting her and that "FAA" rule says the bags must follow passengers. She said she had been flying for 20 years and trained people on this blah blah...

So, when we got to CLT, the FIDS indeed showed both flights operated and my bag did come on the later flight - that was another hour of wait.

Anyway, what is the deal on:

1 - domestic PPBM? I thought it is no longer needed since we have bomb detection systems

2 - if PPBM is still required domestically, what happens in a irregularity reroute situation? Can they not reroute you if you checked a bag?

3 - if PPBM is still required domestically, I guess no same-day-standby if you check a bag?

4 - FAA does not regulate this, right? TSA does, right?

Thanks.