FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asia Adventure - CX, EK, TG, RJ, PG - F&J + IC Hotels
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:13 pm
aks120
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Intercontinental Grand Stanford

The last time I was in Hong Kong I had splashed out and treated myself to the Intercontinental Hong Kong and had been treated like a Queen – I was upgraded to a magnificent suite with a great view over the harbour. This time I elected to go for the Grand Stanford, mainly due to the price differential but also because I wanted to try a different hotel – I strongly believe that you need to have different experiences rather than do the same thing over and over.

Transportation

I got to the hotel by using the MTR Airport Express and attached hotel bus service. I was wavering about whether to try this or just get a taxi but as I came out of the customs hall, the MTR booth and entrance were right in front of me so it just seemed the simpler option. I am glad I did as I bought my ticket, headed off to the platform and a train arrived 4 mins later. The train was clean and had a nice luggage rack for my 2 suitcases and we were off to the city in no time.

The Airport Express has only 3 stops, and I was to get off at the second stop - Kowloon.

It is here that you can get on the free buses to a variety of hotels, mine being on the K3 route. At the Kowloon station the transfer from train to bus was very easy and I got on a slightly older bus, which left a couple of minutes later. The bus stopped at a few hotels before getting to the Intercontinental and I think the driver was trying out to be a Formula 1 driver but I arrived at the hotel front door in one piece!

Check-in

Booked – 1 King Premier Side Harbour View.
Actual – Room No 945 – 1 King Premier Full Harbour View (upgraded a few days after booking).

Check in was quick and the front desk handed me a welcome note from the manager as this was my first time at the hotel. I was given a breakdown of my rate and a drinks token. I asked about internet and was told it was free for being an Ambassador; the charge would just be taken off my room charges at the end of my stay.

I had read that the ‘Premier’ rooms were the more recently upgraded rooms, and although there was a cheaper category that did not include a harbour view, I thought I would spend the little extra to experience the view that Hong Kong is famous for. I ended up in a lovely room that had obviously just recently been updated.

It is not the biggest room out there but plenty big enough for me and included a desk, a comfy seat, a great bathroom, a massive bed and a lovely view of the harbour. The view was really good and I was glad I had gone for the harbour view choice - you really have to when in Hong Kong!

The bathroom was compact but had a big shower with 2 showerheads and a seat in it - all done in marble. The sink was nice and big too. The toiletries were Agraria again and they were dotted around the bathroom.

Ambassador Perk - My Ambassador welcome fruit was pretty standard but it did all look fresh. I was also given 1 bottle of Vittel water. My Ambassador welcome gift was a box of chocolates. The chocolates came in an Intercontinental Grand Stanford box and they were good quality – I had a couple a night!

I did not pay for lounge access at this hotel as I had other plans. On the first night I went to Tiffany's bar and had my free drink plus a couple of glasses of wine. The choices were good and there was a band on - good singers but a little loud. When I looked around I noticed it was not that busy and it was really dark inside. The waitress was very friendly and always remembered my drink order. The Tiffany's bar does buy one get one free drinks between 1700-2030 so I would go in there prior to dinner. Given the prices at some bars this is a good deal. The caiprihanis are strong but tasty - not totally authentic but not bad. Plus I could use the wifi in the bar which is a bonus for me traveling alone - it gives me something to do while I people watch!

I also found the hotel restaurants, which are not well signposted at all. There is a Cafe, an Italian and a Michelin starred Chinese restaurant. All seemed busy at lunch. One evening I decided to eat in the hotel due to the thunderstorm and monsoon outside - the hotel has a Michelin starred Cantonese restaurant called Hoi King Heen and whilst it had some very 'unusual' ingredients on the menu, I saw a few things that sounded yummy so thought I would give it a go. The service throughout was phenomenal - I had Hot & Sour soup to start which was delicious and then had prawns in chili and garlic - there was huge prawns but no appearance of either chili or garlic! However the noodles with spring onions was wonderful. I could not fault the welcome or service but I am not sure what got them the star!

Soon enough it was time to check-out of the hotel. This was fast and efficient and I got the airport express bus back to meet the MTR to the airport. Having stayed at both the IC Grand Stanford and the IC Hong Kong, I think I prefer the Grand Stanford. The room was excellent; the location very good and for the price difference, I think the Grand Stanford is by far the better value. My view was very good, maybe not as dramatic as the one in the IC Hong Kong but still fabulous. If I return to Hong Kong it will be the Grand Stanford that I stay at.

Last edited by aks120; Apr 18, 2013 at 7:10 pm