FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:59 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
20) Mt. Pleasant in the Falkland Islands (MPN) had scheduled passenger air service operated at this time by two different entities. One was an airline and the other entity was....well, it was something else entirely. Identify the airline, the other entity, the aircraft types operated and the routes flown by each air carrier from MPN.
Back in 2007, I tried to fly on a LAN Chile award into MPN, but alas it was an invalid destination for award travel. As I recall, the nonstop flight was out of Ushuaia, Argentina using an Airbus A319.

As to the other "entity" - one that operated aircraft no less - I'm guessing it may have been L.A.D.E., the state owned airline operated by the Argentine Air Force. I've seen their little F28 jets at Calafate and for a time during the busy summer season you could occasionally get lucky and have a 707 operating your flight. I believe that 707 was retired around 2006 or 7. As for service to Port Stanley, if indeed there was any from LADE, I imagine it might have emanated from somewhere like Rio Gallegos.