FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Proactive apology email and miles from AA re. cancellations on 16 Apr 2013
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:46 pm
TheBOSman
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I open this post noting I was not scheduled to fly yesterday at all.

Originally Posted by NYC1K
I need to call Ex-Plat line and complain. I didn't fly AA yesterday but I still want the 7.5K miles for just being an Ex-Plat.

+1 , though not really of course

Originally Posted by aap
Agree - this must be costing AA a small fortune to fix this disaster. Giving away bonus points, rebooking on other carriers, hotel/meal vouchers, employee overtime. Had to laugh at AA's personalized apologies on Twitter every 30 seconds.

I really wonder how many people truly would stop flying AA because of this incident. It would seem the other carriers are just as susceptible. Just get people on other flights and this problem will be forgotten.
But at the same time, AA's reaction to it gives me a good feeling that, in case of a massive, systemwide event such as this (this makes any DFW storm or IRROPS pale in comparison), that they will take care of the people scheduled to fly with them, without major regard for what it may cost them. Compare with UA's 3/3 and the days/weeks after. That event was far more predictable to have issues, and yet AA's reaction to this was far better than UA's reaction. What AA's reaction also helps with is showing that, even if something happens during the AA/US system combination, while everything will migrate to AA's systems, they will take care of the customers if issues arise. And this was likely worse than anything that may happen during the combination, since they will have time to prepare for that and have other plans in place if something goes wrong.