FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:54 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by flatseatlover
In May I am flying a RT LAX-NRT in business I class and am going for the platinum challenge and that time. What is AA policy on international upgrade from business class to first. Does it happen often for free or rarely. Also do I get the 100% miles on my return leg as that will be the one making me platinum. Also my spouse will be in first on an award ticket, do they let us switch seats during flight.

Thanks
AA will be happy to upgrade you for 25k miles +$550 each way, or you could use a SWU if you can get a hold of one. This assumes that First upgrade space is open (it's usually much easier to find than Y->J upgrade space).

Barring certain oversold situations, which are very rare and should never be counted on, AA doesn't do any sort of free upgrades on long hauls.

On the flight that puts you over to PLT you'll get full 100% bonus miles.

I'm not sure what the official policy is on switching seats between cabins (probably not allowed), but if you let the FA know when you get on it probably won't be an issue once or twice. YMMV depending on the FAs.