FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Semester abroad vs after college vacation
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:51 am
gfunkdave
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 17jwblue17

I am of the opinion that a college age person does not have enough experience in life to be safe in another country and a person under 21 could not appreciate travel as much.
Because "other countries" are so alien and dangerous? Watch out, American college students! Spending a semester in Australia will result in getting eaten by a dingo! Beware, German students! Venture to Montreal for a couple months at your peril!

The thousands of students who participate in exchange programs every year without problems would seem to prove otherwise.

As for appreciating travel, I don't understand why that's even a consideration. That's like telling someone they can't have a glass of wine because they can't possibly appreciate it as fully as a wine connoisseur. How else does one learn to appreciate the myriad benefits of travel if one does not start traveling in the first place?

The one pro I can see to a semester abroad is being around a group of people the same age. The trips are generally supervised, but not fully.
Other benefits: discovering that one can function and thrive in a different culture, and the self confidence that comes from it; learning about different cultures; seeing a new place; expanding one's horizons; meeting people from other places; perhaps learning a new language; making new friends; having new experiences...etc. etc. etc.

If being around people the same age is the sole concern, then I don't understand why anyone would ever leave their university grounds.

I never even did a semester abroad...but I wish I had. So I contented myself with a month of backpacking through Europe with friends after college. Talk about unsupervised! And fun!