FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - hotel says I don't have a confirmation but I do
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:25 pm
writerguyfl

Confirmation Number = Reservation

Originally Posted by mikeef
Let's get past this, "you never had a room to begin with" thing. You had a room. It says so on your confirmation.
Exactly! I find the response from the hotel to be ludicrous. Once you get a confirmation number, you have a reservation.

I've worked at several different hotels over the years. (Although, no Marriotts.) One position I held was Revenue Manager, so I've actually been through a similar situation from the hotel side. I find it disheartening that this hotel seems ready to pass their problem on to the guest. Hotels are run by humans; so, mistakes happen. But, this hotel should be doing more.

In my experience, when I was forced to pre-walk guests, the hotel did not pick up the cost. What we did was arrange for a room at a comparable hotel in the area at the same rate. (If the other hotel had a higher rate, we paid the difference.) When a comparable hotel wasn't available, we made sure the guest's rate was appropriately discounted. On top of that, we'd offer to comp a room night or two if the guest was returning to the area at a later date.

I also worked at the Disney Reservations Center in Orlando for a number of years. Although not exactly the same, the closure of one of the resorts after 9/11 meant that thousands of guests had to be relocated. That was easier, as guests could be placed at other Disney properties. But, every single relocated guest was offered something in exchange for the hassle. That was just part of the culture there: when business decisions impact guests, you do everything in your power to minimize the problems. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like this hotel has that mindset.

I'm not sure what I wrote will help the OP much. Maybe the information will help. Unfortunately, most hotel chains don't have specific guidelines to handle these situations. Guests are left to mediate the issue directly with the hotel.