FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Second Anniversary Asian Adventure: UA Y, LH F and C, OZ C, TG F and QR C
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:03 pm
macdonaldj2

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Singapore to Bali on Qatar

Our time in Singapore came to an end extremely quick. Thankfully the beauty shined through the lack of restaurants being opened when I wanted so there might be hope of moving there in the future. We packed up but since we never really unpacked this went quick and we were shortly at Changi. I think it’s been said enough but Changi is the best airport in the world with Barcelona coming in at a close second for me at least. There is just so much to see and do, usually I would kill time in the lounge(s) but since Qatar used the dnata lounge we decided to walk around and see where the day took us. Trying to still impress the wife we found the butterfly garden which is near the Hard Rock Café.

Butterfly Garden:

I have no idea why they have that but again who cares really? It’s a nice escape from the terminal (hot). From there my wife decided to look into shopping while I decided to find a corner to drink in. Luckily the only shop she purchased anything was at M and M world and for whatever reason she wanted some since we were strolling through Tokyo.

I beg of you please do not make this flavor:

Or do so I can trick my co-workers into eating it. After the light shopping excursion where I couldn’t find Macallan 18, what happened? Did they stop selling that at Duty Free? So much for enjoying at in Bali! We ventured on to find the dnata lounge, and I have to say not bad, but again my yard stick is the FCT so...I may be biased. The food was decent, the drinks were drinkable and the wifi was…wifi’able? My wife disagreed and didn’t want any of the food and I assume walked over to a place that shall not be named but its mascot is a King and it makes Burgers. She felt the need for chicken product and I stayed back in the lounge because the food was free and plentiful.

Boarding wasn’t called but we made our way to the gate anyway because for those of you that have never been to Changi you clear security at the gate. By the time we cleared through it was time to board and we zoomed past the economy line to the business door. I really did feel bad, but then I realized what we needed to do in order to get these tickets, all the miles flown, times apart then I cheered up. When we booked the flights we had a choice of Singapore or Qatar and knowing Qatar would soon be leaving (sadface) star alliance we chose the 77W as I don’t see myself flying to Doha and or flying in C. Easy choice and I am glad we made it. Remember the flight from Bangkok to SIN? How hot, humid and generally unbearable it was. Well this was the complete opposite, vents were plentiful and the cabin temperature was perfect. I took no pictures of this flight sadly, but I’m sure google works for your needs. Champagne was quickly handed out along with either warm or cool towels. Menus came shortly after, I do not remember what I ate but I can tell you two things about it. One, it was good, and two it was a Singaporean dish. Again if there is a theme to this trip report, I crammed in as much Breaking Bad as the 2.5 hour flight would allow. Somehow I got through 4 episodes on a 2.5 hour flight, how did that happen you ask…well we ended up circling the ocean for 45 minutes as the Captain said they were ‘working on the runway’. Not knowing what that meant I just sat back and relaxed. Eventually we landed and we had set up fast pass immigration through the hotel so we were greeted after a short walk. There was a porter and a rep that ushered us through the process. If we go back I’m positive we could have managed ourselves, but it was 50USD for the convenience and again I’m on vacation so why bother with the hassle? After blowing through the airport we walked out past the touts and were shortly in the safety of our car and headed to the W Bali.

So there you have it, a flight, meal, airport experience in one paragraph. Coming up me in a bathing suit…stay tuned or don’t…I wouldn’t