FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:27 pm
NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Agreed- the one thing ZRH could do to make this even better is have a non-EU passport booth designated for "short connections".
And a separate security lane for "short connections".

Originally Posted by PaulRO
This thread seems to feed the theory that the world can be viewed in two.

1. Those who believe in LX (and other practitioners of common sense and decency.)
2. Those who need to loosen up a little and allow themselves to believe in LX (and other practitioners of common sense and decency.)
I obviously belong to the latter group and can't see how believing in common sense and decency helps anyone with a tight connection. Do you think LX should delay departures because some connecting pax are held up by late arrivals of incoming flights due to congestion in ZRH which seems to be getting more common? Or by unnecessary security checks because ZRH's centralised security check arrangement is not centralised in reality?

When they rebuilt Pier B/D why didn't they make it possible for pax already in secure area of Pier D to ride in a secure carriage of Heidi's train? When you arrive in E the non-secure carriage is at the front and the escalator takes you further towards the higher E gates. However, at the top you have to turn back towards the lower E gates to go through security (which are not clearly marked and still look like a temporary arrangement). According to the airport map other security checkpoints are there but the only one in operation appears to be the one towards the lower E gates.

My recent shorthaul > longhaul connection in ZRH was 80 minutes and should have been more than enough but the incoming flight was 22 minutes late and I was one of the last to board the longhaul flight. Last time I made the same connection the feeder flight was 31 minutes late and they had given away my seat on the longhaul.

On the way back the incoming longhaul flight was 30 minutes late mainly due to congestion in ZRH. My 85 minutes' connection was cut down to 55 minutes, still more than enough in the eye of many posters in this thread. I was one of the first to deplane, got on Heidi's train straightaway and walked briskly to Pier D security, where only one lane was open. No priority lane for premium or status pax, or a fast lane for short connections. After I stood in the queue for a while they opened another lane and I moved there, but unfortunately I found myself behind a young woman with a bagful of duty-free liquids purchased outside EU. Sensing there would be a long discussion I moved to the original lane - by this time three security lanes were open but still no priority lane. By the time I cleared security my flight was already boarding (from a bus gate D5x).

I would never book a 40-50 min connection in ZRH unless I fancy an overnight stay at LX's expense. And I prefer to have a chance to visit a lounge even for a short period between flights and not to have to rush from gate to gate as I had to do during my recent 80 minutes and 85 minutes connections.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 6, 2013 at 3:31 am Reason: 85 mins connection rather than 95 mins