FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I am one of the MilesBuzz! moderators.

There have been a dozen threads on this topic. About four have been permanently closed. The others have withered in the usual fashion, and one is currently active.

If you were to read all of those threads, you would find a substantial amount of feedback that a serious mileage blogger should find valuable. Unfortunately, mixed in with this has been some of the worst abuse that I have read on FlyerTalk. The moderators have not removed criticism of blog content, but we have had to deal with comments about bloggers' personal appearance, their families, sexual orientation, and personal ethics. Multiple forms of personal attack have been employed including ridicule, mocking, baiting, mischaracterization, and other forms of provocation. The thread is a magnet for duplicate handles which some have used to submit posts which they apparently knew violated FlyerTalk's terms.

This misconduct has poisoned the atmosphere, and you will find very little constructive engagement between bloggers and their readers. Bloggers who do join these threads are interrogated about specific blog articles, but the discussion is not about the accuracy or helpfulness of their content, but rather about their motives. These are not isolated occurrences, a dozen posts were removed this week.

I think it would be to FlyerTalk's advantage to host these threads somewhere other than MilesBuzz!, but unless we can create an atmosphere in which the mileage bloggers feel comfortable discussing their work product I do not foresee that we will have added value to this community.