FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:28 pm
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Personally I'd say no. Because they are individuals who are blogging, not a company etc so they could only be representing theirself. We read their blogs, very few are PPV and we are consumers, not customers who need customer service.

'Official representatives' work because they are here to (generally) represent the product that is being sold. With a blog, their readership is technically the product, and the buyer are the companies with affiliate links and the companies with advertising.
With a blog, just as with a newspaper, the content is the product.

That's why I thought blogs would fit best in the Travel News forum. But I negotiated against myself on that one since the folks who I thought would be swayed into favor of the forum by making it stand alone rather than being mixed in with other news sources still oppose my 'compromise' anyway. I do feel a bit like Obama in that sense, having been bait-and-switched on creating a compromise that is then opposed anyway. Frustrating.

Anyway, the point is to discuss the product, ie, the content of the blogs. In some cases, blog writers (whether in-house or freelance writers) include themselves in the blog posts. In those cases, the writer has made him or herself part of the content being sold and, it would seem, is thus certainly fair game for discussion. Just like it is fine to talk about Smisek when he puts himself on the pre-safety video videos.