View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 13, 3:26 pm
grt2106

Originally Posted by Seat2C View Post
VX is new to status matching and is handling it very poorly at the moment. I am surprised that they don't simply have status matching as a permanent program with a set time period (90 days) to achieve matching requirements.
I'm also surprised that they aren't status matching Alaska, Delta and JetBlue. Alaska has quite a bit of route overlap. Delta and JetBlue have a lot of New York and Boston presence; I'm surprised that VX isn't trying to poach their passengers.

Now, keeping in mind that status matching and loyalty programs are set up to generate additional revenue for the company, I'm going to ask you a couple of critical questions, grt2106.

Did you accept the status match to use the benefits only once? (mid-April flight) Or did your travel plans change radically after you accepted the status match?
It appears that the OP is looking for a 'one and done'; I don't have a problem with that. But if that was your original strategy (one and done), why are you now lamenting a change in status match offer?

Why don't you get the VX credit card; that would mean that you'd only need to earn 3000 flying status points for Silver. That's only $600 spend in tickets. If you're a bit short after your one flight in mid-April, you should be able to do a short weekend trip somewhere to get the remaining points. Problem solved.
I live on the East Coast, so unfortunately they don't do too many short hauls from here.

The status match would keep me flying VX over JetBlue (cheapest/many well timed flights) or Southwest (convenient) to go from NYC to LA or SF- even if it meant a slightly higher outright ticket price.

I suppose I'm flying with VX a few times a year- less when they can the direct SFO/MCO. I'm not so much lamenting the idea of having my status matched, just that I'd have until June to earn if I signed up this week, versus signing up a month ago where I only have until April. I've never received any benefit thus far with them- so yeah, it seems like a slightly messy match.