FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Realistic itin with base in Anchorage?
View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:22 pm
Gardyloo
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by lancexfang
Thanks for all the advice. The reasons I want to go back to ANC is 1) I'm cheap but have a lot of points from the chains (hilton, marriott, etc). The only place where I can stay for free with the points seems to be ANC. Outside of it, all the resorts are so expensive; and 2) I want to have a home base for the family so that they don't have to pack and unpack constantly.

Sounds like Whittier is doable. Then there are two options when it comes to Seward:

1. don't go
2. go and stay there for a night - if we do that, we might as well continue onto Whitter after that.

Correct?

Any other suggestion in terms of meaningful, doable day trips from Anchorage?
Well, the deal with Seward and Whittier is that you travel on the same highway to get to both. The turnoff (from the Seward Highway) to Whittier is around an hour from Anchorage, then you travel 10 miles up Portage Valley to a one-way train/car tunnel that's only open a few times daily in each direction, which will take you into Whittier.

To get to Seward from Anchorage, you take the same highway, but don't turn off at Portage. That drive is around 2 to 2 1/2 hours, i.e. roughly twice as far as the Portage turnoff, or, put another way, an hour and a bit farther down the road. If you do separate day trips to Whittier and Seward, you're basically driving the Turnagain Arm part of the Seward Highway four times. Now it's very scenic and all that, but, assuming you're visiting in the summer, it's also very prone to slow-moving traffic, and following an RV or a camper for hours up the Seward Highway is a really irritating common occurrence.

I get the point about hotel points, and, again, assuming you're coming in the summer, you won't have any daylight issues to prevent your basic plan. However, if you spent a night in Seward, you could take one of the Kenai Fjords National Park cruises that operate from there (very different from the glacier cruises out of Whittier). These would be difficult to do with a day trip, unless you left Anchorage at oh twilight thirty.