FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Success
Thread: Upgrade Success
View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:41 am
ypqRD

Programs: AC Elite,Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premier
Yes. I gave up chasing status the year the e-upgrades were introduced: I'd had several years of ZERO successful upgrade attempts and ZERO op-ups and the word here was it would be harder in the land of e-ups. I started using my points for personal travel instead of buying tickets for personal travel (I'd always been worried I wouldn't quite have enough status miles.) I started using entirely different airlines for business trips if their schedules were more convenient. And then, after several years of that, I happened to make E35K last year without really trying. (A trip to Australia will do that.)

Since I can't use my e-ups for transatlantic flights (at the fare class I use) I didn't try to "save" them as I used to save my SSWUs. I used half of them to upgrade a YYZ-SEA flight that was less than 12 hours after I landed from a redeye LAS-YYZ. Succeeded at the 4 day mark and very satisfied with that, thankyou.

Sure, expectations are lowered now. You never know when you're living in a golden age. But I am getting upgraded and enjoying the perk.